Tuesday, October 28, 2008

God's Word

I actually wrote this last week but of course it is just now getting posted as other motherly duties have been priority this week!...


Well, today has been one of those days of returning home from a trip with bags to be unpacked, laundry to be washed, a car that needed to be washed and emails that needed to be returned. But if you know me very well you know that I don’t unpack my bag until I desperately need something out of it. I got in a 3 mile run this morning and had some time this afternoon in the word. So all in all it was a good day. I was blown away by the Holy Spirit today as something was pressing on my heart and He completely guided me through scripture. As I opened up my bible and turned to what I thought was the passage my bible study book told me to turn to and began to read it was the answer to what had been laying so heavy on my heart. Funny as I finished reading it and turned back to the study guide I realized I was reading in the wrong book of the bible….right verses just wrong book but it was exactly the answer to my issue! Ok so some of you may be saying slow down sister but I truly believe that due to a series of events, much prayer and then scripture colliding that it was the Holy Spirit! It has been so amazing to me over the past few months how God calms my fears, comforts me and comes to me in a fresh way through His word. A friend of mine recently asked me what my favorite scripture was and it was so difficult for me to say because I love it all….I really do love His word!
I hope my son is catching on to the vitality of this awesome book….and I think he understands it is a good place to turn….The other day Jackson came in from school tired and not in the best of moods. Everyday we come in and have a snack. On this particular day we decided to have an oh so healthy snack of a chocolate milkshake. As I handed to milkshake to my son I said “be careful there is no top on it.” So Jackson began to drink his milkshake but got distracted by the power of television and accidentally spilt it on the chair in the living room. I told him it was ok and we began to clean it up…but this is when the tired and not so good mood kicked in….he cried and cried saying that it was on his shorts and underwear…so I told him to go to the bathroom and we would take care of it…no big deal….so after getting him cleaned up I handed him the remainder of his milkshake to him and went towards the closet in his room to get him some clean underwear and shorts when I turned and heard the cup that the milkshake was in hit the wall and the splatter of the milky brown cream all over the floor, ceiling, wall and me. Jackson knew it wasn’t good. After receiving a spanking and told to sit on his bed until I told him he could get up I began to clean the mess. As I scrubbed the carpet I began to cry…not just cry but BOO HOO thinking to myself, what have I done wrong…Jackson really knew at this point it was a bad thing because Mommy had lost it. He sat on his bed quietly watching me. (That’s a whole different story for another day) So after cleaning up everything I went and sat down on the couch and began to watch tv while Jackson was left sitting on his bed to think about his actions. After a few minutes I saw him lean forward and get a book off his side table. He leaned over where he could see me and said “mommy, I’m reading my bible”…he paused…and the said “I like to read my bible.” On the inside I was smiling and I just said “I’m glad you are reading your bible Jackson, that’s a great thing to do.” I wasn’t sure how glad he was to be reading his bible or that he was just telling me this to get brownie points in hopes of getting out of trouble sooner….a minute or two later he leans back around and says…”Mommy in this story they are praying…I like to pray too.” At this point I told him I was glad he liked to pray and asked him to come to me. I turned off the tv and began to discuss the issues behind the milkshake explosion and his behavior. The point of this story isn’t about how the situation was handled but about the fact that my son went to his bible. Of course not being able to read it fully yet….only looking at the colorful pictures…but that he went there in his time of trouble. I desire for him to love God’s word at an early age. He amazes me at how he doesn’t want to go to bed at night without reading a bible story and how he has lots of questions and seems to want to know more. Thank you Jesus for your word! And thank you for your faithfulness to use it to open my eyes to what is going on around me!

No comments: